1-888-993-3112

ADHD In Twins

Question:

My twins both have ADHD, however one shows more of the symptoms than the other. When I say more, he takes the symptoms to their extreme, are there other major disorders linked with ADD and ADHD?

Answer:

First, even though your children are twins and they both have ADHD does not mean that they have identical symptoms. I am assuming these are identical but, even if they are not, there is always variability about the way disorders show themselves in each individual.

Remember, even when twins or triplets are genetically identical, they do not occupy the same space at the same time. That means that they each must experience life differently.

Second, ADHD is often accompanied by other disorders. For example, depression is frequently linked to ADHD. In addition, it is always possible for children and adults to have more than one disorder at a time. I am not sure if you have any diagnostic areas in mind but it is possible for a child with AHDH to have neurological problems, dyslexia, depression, anxiety, rage disorder, conduct disorder or any other variety of problems.

Indeed, it is possible for one ADHD twin to have an additional major disorder while the other does not.

Please keep in mind that even though you have twins, they are different people. I know because I have twins.

Also keep in mind that the psychiatrists may push medications and perhaps they are necessary but the real help comes from psychotherapy, particularly behavior modification.

I hope this helps and best of luck.