1-888-993-3112

Advice

Question:

I am a 35 year old male and am worried as to what is wrong with me. I am flying off the handle at the least little thing. I am agressive to my wife and children. Also, I am becoming forgetful in my job and not picking up on things. I am tired, agitated and feel angry and stressed all the time. I’m worried about my temper and don’t know what to do or where to turn? Is there something happening to me?

Answer:

First, I want to congratulate you for recognizing what you are doing. That is a very big deal because there are too many people who behave in these ways but think there is nothing wrong with them. Recognizing that there is a problem means that you want to do something about it.

Yes, there is something wrong but its not clear what it is. Let me explain.

If you are drinking or using drugs (and I am not saying you are because I don’t know), it could be affecting your mood, especially your temper. It would be best to stop.

However, there are many additional possibilities and among these are: Depression, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Bipolar Disorder and or some physical condition that is affecting you.

What I suggest and in my opinion, is that you see your Medical Doctor, report these symptoms and have a complete medical examination. For example, an over active thyroid can cause some of this. A physical exam will let you and the Doctor know what is or is not going on.

If you are physically healthy, he should refer you to a psychiatrist or clinical psychiatrist. That way you will get a psychological or psychiatric diagnosis and can start treatment. Treatment could range from anti depressant medication to psychotherapy, individual or group. This will depend on the diagnosis and whether or not you want psychotherapy. I recommend psychotherapy and medication but some prefer just the medication.

I hope this helps and I want to wish you lots of luck. Please get help now.