Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?



I am a 35 year old male and am worried as to what is wrong with me. I am flying off the handle at the least little thing. I am agressive to my wife and children. Also, I am becoming forgetful in my job and not picking up on things. I am tired, agitated and feel angry and stressed all the time. I’m worried about my temper and don’t know what to do or where to turn? Is there something happening to me?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

First, I want to congratulate you for recognizing what you are doing. That is a very big deal because there are too many people who behave in these ways but think there is nothing wrong with them. Recognizing that there is a problem means that you want to do something about it.

Yes, there is something wrong but its not clear what it is. Let me explain.

If you are drinking or using drugs (and I am not saying you are because I don’t know), it could be affecting your mood, especially your temper. It would be best to stop.

However, there are many additional possibilities and among these are: Depression, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Bipolar Disorder and or some physical condition that is affecting you.

What I suggest and in my opinion, is that you see your Medical Doctor, report these symptoms and have a complete medical examination. For example, an over active thyroid can cause some of this. A physical exam will let you and the Doctor know what is or is not going on.

If you are physically healthy, he should refer you to a psychiatrist or clinical psychiatrist. That way you will get a psychological or psychiatric diagnosis and can start treatment. Treatment could range from anti depressant medication to psychotherapy, individual or group. This will depend on the diagnosis and whether or not you want psychotherapy. I recommend psychotherapy and medication but some prefer just the medication.

I hope this helps and I want to wish you lots of luck. Please get help now.

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand