Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Elder Anorexia


At 61 years, I find I have drifted back towards the anorexia I suffered as a teenager. I’m only anorexic in the sense that I’m phobic about putting on weight; I feel hopelessly suicidally out of control if I override my sense of fullness, and if I find I am putting on weight. I eat plenty, but the problem is if I lose weight through being unwell or extra busy, I can’t regain it. My efforts to tackle this problem head on have been disastrous, but tackling it indirectly, by trying to improve my life in other respects, seems to have left me losing weight. My BMI is about 16.5, not too bad, but I don’t want it to keep getting lower and I know it should be a bit higher. Do you have any advice?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Sure. My advice is to seek the help of a psychologist who specializes in the treatment of eating disorders and depression so that you can be properly evaluated. There is a possibility that you are at least somewhat depressed. If depression is found (and it doesn’t have to look like depressed mood – it can look like irritability, anxiety, agitation), it should be treated – perhaps with medication and perhaps with psychotherapy. There are also reasonable psychotherapies for treating eating problems these days. Another thing you might think about would be to have a physical with a medical doctor and to discuss any medications you’re on with that doctor. Medicines you might be on might be helping your current situation along and might be profitably evaluated. As you probably know – eating disorders are serious conditions that can (when unchecked and extreme) become life-threatening. It is far better to get yourself checked out and to enlist the help of someone who is trained to help this sort of problem than to try to go it alone.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand