1-888-993-3112

Five Year Old Daughter Hears Voices

Question:

My five year old daughter hears Voices of 2 young boys and she also sees them. She can tell me what they look like and there are imaginary places they live. She tells me the boys tell her to say she hates her life and she should kill herself and she wants to die. They also say to her that they want to gut the whole family with a knife and punch us. If she gets in trouble at school she blames the boys for throwing the chairs or hurting other kids. Sometimes she doesn’t even remember doing some thing even though she did it a moment before and we caught her. She is always blaming her brother for hitting her even though he does not. She has a blank stare when we talk to her and sometimes she is scared to sleep. Once in a while she will sleep walk. She has a terrible attitude. I can’t make out what is going on. I can only think it is Schizophrenia, or multiple personality.

Answer:

There is certainly very good reason for you to be alarmed about your little daughter. However, it is important that you not rush to judgment about what could be wrong with her. Yes, there is always the possibility that she is suffering from a psychotic disorder. However, she is only five years of age and her symptoms could be caused by something medical.

It is imperative that you bring her to your pediatrician immediately and tell him about the symptoms that you observed and those she reports to you, just as you did her in your E. Mail. He will medically evaluate her and determine if anything physical could be causing this to be happening. If he finds something, he will recommend treatment.

However, if the pediatrician cannot find anything medically wrong then he should refer you immediately to a pediatric psychiatrist. There, she will undergo further evaluation and treatment will be recommended.

She is still very young and there is every hope that she will be fine. However, you must act now and not wait any longer. Speediness and time are everything for her future.

Good luck