Hi, I really need some advice,my boyfriend of 5 months is very insecure not only about himself but also about me. He accuses me on a daily basis of being dishonest or sneaky about the most trivial things, for example if my cell is out of service and he cant reach me ( even for 10 mins) then i’ve been cheating… its really hurting me because he is someone i care alot about and I am not cheating on him. It has got to the stage where his temper has become violent. He has hit me on a few occasions and often threatens to do it again if he’s mad or annoyed about something i’ve done. How can i show him i’m not dishonest or cheating on him?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Don’t bother trying to show him that you aren’t dishonest or cheating on him. No amount of appeasment will help make him feel less insecure. Recognize that you are in an abusive relationship, and are being actively physically, verbally and emotionally abused. The smart thing to do is to bolt; to leave the relationship completely before you get locked into it more deeply (by pregnancy or children or marriage or shared property) and have less freedom to leave. Read this article to learn more about abuse.