He's Obnoxious...and A Transvestite


I am a close friend of a homosexual and transvestite living as a woman. While I’m a straight man, I am not a homophobe, but I must confess an ignorance as to how to be supportive (a good fiend) to this person. In addition, some of her behavior is increasingly inappropriate, but any time I voice this she responds in an overly emotional fashion and accuses me of just thinking of her as a freak and not caring about her, which is untrue. My family is unaware that this person is anatomically male, and would undoubtedly react badly (if not violently) if they were aware of this. I strongly suspect that she is taking female hormones which may (in part) be responsible for some of her more bizarre behavior. I’m at the end of my rope and I don’t know what to do. I do not know how to deal with her and this issue.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

First, what you need to do is to find out more about homosexuality. Ask her about it and tell her you do not understand it. I’m sure she would be willing to tell you about it if you listened. She would probably be pleased to hear that you truly want to know more about her lifestyle. How long has it been since she discovered her true sexuality? Maybe she is not quite comfortable with it yet, or for that matter, you knowing makes her feel uncomfortable with it. Give her time. Your best bet is to just tell her how you feel and discuss it with her. And as for your family, don’t tell them. Do they really need to know? I’m guessing that they wouldn’t understand and would make inappropriate judgements about her. I would wait a little bit on the family problem until you resolve your friend’s issue first. Maybe further down the line you can tell them. As for the hormones she is taking, find out more about it. What are the side effects, etc. If you really want to make things work with your friend, you need to understand everything about her. It seems she needs a friend more than anything. Be there for her. It may be tough, but hang in there. Sincerely, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists