How Can I Help My Bipolar Wife?


My wife has a depression that is almost bipolar I cant remember the name of it. I find her crying for no reason and she sleeps a lot. I often find that she can be in a “good mood” or bad. I want to help but she just tells me nothing is wrong she hasn’t been taking her medication because we haven’t had the money to get it. I was wondering a few things. one is there any assistance that will help with the medication? and second the relationship that we have was great before, but I am finding it more and more difficult to compromise with her and I was wondering is there anything that I can do to help her through things? she wont tell me what if anything is wrong. please help me with this I need some advice on this matter. thank you for your time.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

If your wife is truly experiencing a bipolar type mood disorder, the best thing you could do for her to help her stabilize her mood will be to do what you can to remove excuses that keep her from being on appropriate medication for her condition as prescribed by a psychiatrist. If you are in the United States, please look for the local community (or county) mental health center in your area. Though almost squeezed out of existence by lack of government funding, these centers are still places where people with limited means can gain access to psychiatric care. You can find the center nearest to you by calling the telephone operator, or looking in the blue government pages of your yellow pages telephone book. The police will know where to find the local clinic as well.

Dealing with a mentally ill spouse is a difficult thing to do. I also strongly suggest that you seek out a support group, or trusted clergy, friend or relative and talk about what you are going through. Talking can really help you to feel better.


More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists



Myndfulness App

Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily

Myndfuless App Rating

Download Now For Free

Learn More >