I am a girl of 16 and I think I am in love with my female teacher; she’s 30. I don’t know how to tell her about my feelings.
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
I highly recommend not telling her! It is not uncommon for individuals in your stage of life to confuse their feelings. Is it possible that you are confusing admiration with love? Do you have any experience with homosexual relationships? Does she? It is not uncommon for individuals of the same sex to feel strongly about one another, but it is not necessary to act on those feelings. There are also too many negative consequences if you were to tell her of your feelings, social as well as legal. She is your teacher and you are a minor… Consider how telling her about your feelings could affect your friendship with her. Have you told any of your friends about your feelings? How did they react? You must consider the social stigma that homosexuality still carries. You are young and peers often react negatively to those who are different. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality, but you should be sure of your sexuality before announcing it. Don’t do something that you may regret later. Best of luck, – Anne
Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily
Download Now For Free