I am 33 years old and I still have problems trying to control my emotions. I find that I have terrible mood swings, and am overly sensitive. The slightest things that people say can upset me and have caused many sleepless nights. I have found that as a result I have withdrawn from the world to stop myself from getting hurt, and I can see that life is gradually passing me by. I hope that you can help me.
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Realize that most people don’t intend to hurt you with what they say or do. Try telling yourself that people are not intentionally malicious to you. When you are upset with others actions and you cannot easily dismiss it, explaining to them your reaction to what they said can help both you deal with it, and possibly prevent other incidences of distress. Instead of withdrawing from the world try to interact with it. Large drastic actions such as dinner parties are not necessary to begin with. Start with small goals for yourself for the day such as complementing smiling at somebody then move on to complimenting them and gradually progress until you do not feel as withdrawn from the world. If you continue to have problems look for a psychologist in your area. Best of luck, – Anne