More Than Friends?


At the insistence of a coworker, I have seen a psychiatrist who has diagnosed me with manic depression. This is nothing new, I was first diagnosed 4 years ago, but refused to believe it. The problem is, this female coworker has taken a very personal interest in me since I came to this agency. I have received gifts, cards, phone calls, all in the interest of friendship. The trouble is, I find myself very attracted to this girl. (I am also female). I have never had a homosexual relationship and probably would not recognize an individual who was. But this individual has just been overwhelming in attention and I find myself hoping she will call or something. The problem is, it is totally aggravating the manic depression. I have been married a long time, and I am not interested in pursuing an alternative lifestyle. Is this single female gay, and how do I handle the intense emotions her attention is creating?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Do you feel like you are a close enough to her ask her what her sexual preference is? Most people will not be offended by this if you ask seriously. Regardless of her sexuality, you can still remain friends. Tell her that her concern for you is really appreciated. She sounds like a concerned friend that wants to make sure you are doing alright. If you feel a need for attention, telling your husband about your diagnosis and how that makes you feel could help you get the attention you are seeking. Talking to your therapist should help also. Best of luck, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists