1-888-993-3112

More Than Friends?

Question:

At the insistence of a coworker, I have seen a psychiatrist who has diagnosed me with manic depression. This is nothing new, I was first diagnosed 4 years ago, but refused to believe it. The problem is, this female coworker has taken a very personal interest in me since I came to this agency. I have received gifts, cards, phone calls, all in the interest of friendship. The trouble is, I find myself very attracted to this girl. (I am also female). I have never had a homosexual relationship and probably would not recognize an individual who was. But this individual has just been overwhelming in attention and I find myself hoping she will call or something. The problem is, it is totally aggravating the manic depression. I have been married a long time, and I am not interested in pursuing an alternative lifestyle. Is this single female gay, and how do I handle the intense emotions her attention is creating?

Answer:

Do you feel like you are a close enough to her ask her what her sexual preference is? Most people will not be offended by this if you ask seriously. Regardless of her sexuality, you can still remain friends. Tell her that her concern for you is really appreciated. She sounds like a concerned friend that wants to make sure you are doing alright. If you feel a need for attention, telling your husband about your diagnosis and how that makes you feel could help you get the attention you are seeking. Talking to your therapist should help also. Best of luck, – Anne