I am a homosexual. I am not happy with this state, however it is something I can not change. I have been going out with this girl for over three years. I love her very much as she does me. I have told her that I am gay, but will not pursue the lifestyle. She wants to get married. She realizes that I will not be able to offer her sexual intimacy. We have everything else though. We love each other. We talk openly about everything and never fight. Can a marriage between a homosexual and heterosexual work?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Your situation reminds me of that Jennifer Aniston movie that was out in theaters earlier this Summer, The Object of My Affection. In that movie Jennifer’s character fell in love with her friend who was a homosexual. They were the best of friends. They shared everything, well, almost everything… In the end they both realized that sexual intimacy is not something that one can live without. Intimacy is what distinguishes our friends from our lovers. Have you considered that you may change your mind about a homosexual lifestyle? What if you find someone that you do want to become intimate with? What if your girlfriend decides that she needs/wants a physical relationship? If you have reservations about this relationship, then I suggest holding off on marriage. Take care, – Anne