1-888-993-3112

My Friend Wants To Marry Me

Question:

I am a homosexual. I am not happy with this state, however it is something I can not change. I have been going out with this girl for over three years. I love her very much as she does me. I have told her that I am gay, but will not pursue the lifestyle. She wants to get married. She realizes that I will not be able to offer her sexual intimacy. We have everything else though. We love each other. We talk openly about everything and never fight. Can a marriage between a homosexual and heterosexual work?

Answer:

Your situation reminds me of that Jennifer Aniston movie that was out in theaters earlier this Summer, The Object of My Affection. In that movie Jennifer’s character fell in love with her friend who was a homosexual. They were the best of friends. They shared everything, well, almost everything… In the end they both realized that sexual intimacy is not something that one can live without. Intimacy is what distinguishes our friends from our lovers. Have you considered that you may change your mind about a homosexual lifestyle? What if you find someone that you do want to become intimate with? What if your girlfriend decides that she needs/wants a physical relationship? If you have reservations about this relationship, then I suggest holding off on marriage. Take care, – Anne