1-888-993-3112

My Husband Refuses To Seek Help

Question:

My husband has a chemical dependency problem. He refuses to admit it, and for the past two years has sent our family on a financial and emotional roller coaster. I am looking to get some legal advice, and try some meetings with Al-Anon here in town. We’ve been married over ten years and have two children, but he just doesn’t seem to want to try to get better. There is a serious risk of my having to file bankruptcy if I stay with him, but I am so close to kicking him out completely. I have separation papers and am considering refusing him visitation of our two boys unless and he gets help. Does that sound too harsh?

Answer:

Sometimes it is hard to tell someone they have a drinking problem. If you have already discussed this with him, and he won’t listen to you, then it is time for plan B. People with addictions may not want to admit they have one or are too scared to stop. As for your idea, I don’t think it is too harsh. It may be just the thing to knock some sense into him. But that is for you to decide. I do like the idea of you attending the Al-Anon meetings. They would probably be the best people to talk to about your situation. Maybe they can even talk to him. Try attending the meetings first to see what they have to say, and then go from there. I hope everything works out. Sincerely, – Anne