The other day my mom ran out of the room saying "I’m hearing ringing and voices someones talking me." I got really scared and her voice completely changed. I’m worried she’s sick or there is something wrong with her! It’s only happend 2 times ‘in the past few months but I dont know what to do.Ad
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
The first thing you need to do is not panic.
Yes, it does appear that there is something wrong with your mother but it is not possible to know what that is at this point. There are many possible explanations for the symptoms you report in your E. Mail. It seems obvious that you fear that something psychiatric is happening to your mother and that is why you sent your question to Mental Help Net. What I want to emphasize is the importance of your mother seeing her Medical Doctor about these symptoms because it is possible that some type of medical condition is causing the ringing in her ears and even the voices, especially since this does not happen all of the time. Things such as high blood pressurre, diabetes, heart and vascular problems among many other conditions can cause very scary symptoms.
Of course, it is entirely possible that her medications, if there are prescriptions that she takes, could cause her to have these experiences. It is even possible that, if she takes more than one medicine, that the combination of drugs could bring about the same result.
Also, people tend to mistakenly believe that over the counter medicines are harmless but they can and do cause all types of problems if not taken correctly.
Therapists are Standing By to Treat Your Depression, Anxiety or Other Mental Health Needs
Finally, it is possible that your mother is suffering from some type of psychiatric condition but there is no way of knowing, at this point, what it might be.
All you can do is urge your mother to see her doctor and as quickly as possible. I would guess that she is also scared that there is something wrong with her, especially mentally. She really needs to see her doctor as rapidly as possible in order to identfy what is causing her symptoms and provide the best treatment. Good Luck
Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily
Download Now For Free