help!!! I am a 39 year old mother of 7, 5 biological 3 at home ages 13 son (kicked out of school ODD and ADHD) currently homes schooling him, 12 daughter, and 3 year old daughter. I suffer from depression and anxiety disorder. currently taking Prozac and Xanax. sexually abused when 6 years old on until I was 12 years old. 13 year old was sexually abused when he was 5 years old angry every since ( he is) he has been to counseling and is taking medication…..I used to be very active…..now tired I barely take care of my 3 year old…..lost interest in almost everything…..is there any way out?????
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Yes – there is most likely a way out – but it won’t be an easy one and you will have to work for it. First realize that you are probably either clinically depressed or at least having substantial depressive feelings. Given the stress you are under (parenting is very hard work!) and your background of abuse this is not too much of an out of the ordinary occurrence. It is very good that you have seen a doctor and have some prescriptions to help you. However, these medicines don’t seem to be working very well based on what you have to say. Consider asking your doctor to re-evaluate whether the medications are working properly – there are many other medicines that can be tried and/or your existing medicines may require adjustment. I’d also ask about whether you really require Xanax which is an addictive medicine. Sometimes it is very appropriate to prescribe Xanax for your sort of condition – and some other times there is a different medicine that can be more helpful with fewer problems. It is best to follow your doctors directions, but this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t stand up and be heard if things aren’t helping you properly. If you do only one thing to help yourself that should be to reach out to others who can support you. I would look for and join support groups for depressed persons, parenting support groups, and possibly also supportive psychotherapy. The support of others will be critical for helping you to be better able to manage your situation.
Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily
Download Now For Free