My boyfriend thinks his friends are trying to kill him. Examples being… he thinks they’re trying to poison him through water, or he thinks they want to stick him with needles that are disease filled. These are delusions. I know the people he fears and what he thinks is happening isn’t. Could this be a sign of schizophrenia?
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
What you are describing are perhaps delusions – firmly held beliefs (often of a persecutory nature) that are not based on evidence and that are resistant to being explained away. Delusions are sometimes a prominent symptom of schizophrenia, but they can also occur in other contexts (e.g., Delusional Disorder, Paranoid Personality Disorder, Schizoaffective disorder, Drug abuse or addiction, etc.). If your friend is experiencing delusions, it will be important to have him evaluated by a psychiatrist as soon as is feasible.