Is there medication to help get rid of or control racing thoughts? Are there alternate therapies available to eliminate racing thoughts without drugs?Ad
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Though racing thoughts can be a symptom of mental illness, they are not specific to any particular illness. Racing thoughts can occur during anxiety states, panic attacks, and during the ‘manic’ phase of bipolar disorders, as well as during drug intoxication states. You need to learn more about why you are having racing thoughts before you can know if there is any medication that can help you with them. I suggest a visit to your local psychiatrist is in order so that you can be properly diagnosed. The psychiatrist will be in the best position to know what medications might be helpful to you if you are indeed experiencing a clinical problem.
More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists
Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily
Download Now For Free