I recently got in touch with an old friend. We were the best of friends in college, and lost touch for about 10 years. I came across her email on the Internet, and we’ve called each other a couple of times. Is it possible for two friends to pick up where they left off? We were inseparable. I really did miss her, and am glad to have relocated her. She seems happy to hear from me too…
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Yes, it is possible to pick up where you left off, but there is really no way of knowing from the onset. You must keep in mind that a lot can happen in ten years. I don’t think any one of us is the same person we were ten years ago, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If neither one of you has undergone a dramatic change in personality, then I don’t see why the two of you can’t rekindle what you had years ago. Just give yourselves some time to get caught up. Keep in mind that both of you have new responsibilities and priorities… Best of luck, – Anne