Secret Rendezvous


I am 36 years-old and married with one 6 year-old child. My problem is that I have secret meetings that include sex with an old boyfriend on a regular basis. I need to quit the relationship, but seem unable to do so. I am not happy with this relationship, and also I’m not happy with my marital partner. Is there something I can do to end the relationship in steps?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Well, first of all I think you already know the answer. If you are not happy then end it. It seems to me that now you have two problems though. Your spouse and your secret affair. I know it is very hard to end something that seems comfortable, but you have to make the first step to get your life on track again. Start thinking about yourself, and things you must do to make yourself happy. Think about your 6 year-old. The secret relationship needs to go. With your spouse, try therapy. If the both of you go, then maybe things can work out between you. In general, if you do not feel anything or know it is not going to work, then maybe it is time to take a different path. My advice to you is to live for yourself and your child. If you are not happy in either relationship, then end them both.. Maybe talk to a therapist, they can give you a better perspective. I hope that you can make yourself happy again. Be patient, it all works out in the end. Hope things work out, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists

Myndfulness App

Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily

Myndfuless App Rating

Download Now For Free

Learn More >