For some time, a mentally ill person has been following me around. I complained to the police and also referred him to a mental health institute. After almost an year in the institute, he was released. He started ringing me up again. Sometimes, he is very lucid while sometimes I can barely make out what he wishes to say. I never tried to talk to him to find out what is that he wants as I am scared that it would encourage him further. He seems to be obsessed with me. Do these symptoms indicate any particular psychological disorder? I would like to know more as that may help me to deal with this problem.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Although your stalker-friend may be mentally ill, he is still stalking you. Therefore I see this as more of an issue of how to keep you safe, than what is wrong with this guy. Knowing what is wrong with this guy won’t help either of you too much, I don’t think. He may or may not be psychotic. He may or may not be delusionally obsessed with you. It doesn’t matter what exactly is wrong with him. Ultimately his behavior is frightening and potentially dangerous. What is most wrong with this guy, from your point of view, ought to be that he is stalking you. Consider this a criminal problem and not a mental health one. Get an unlisted phone number. Get the police involved – or at least start to get them to document that this man is stalking you. Get a restraining order if you can. Do what you need to do to be safe.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists

Myndfulness App

Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily

Myndfuless App Rating

Download Now For Free

Learn More >