(HealthDay News) -- Baking holiday goodies doesn't have to include loads of butter and sugar.
The American Heart Association mentions these potential substitutes:
- Swap no sugar-added cinnamon applesauce for butter.
- Use a sugar substitute.
- Instead of heavy cream or half and half, use skim milk.
- Use whole wheat flour in half the amount of flour called for in a recipe.
- Skip candies and chocolate chips in flavor of dried fruit.
- Flavor treats with peppermint, vanilla or almond extracts, instead of extra sugar or butter.
This article: Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.