(HealthDay News) -- Dandruff is characterized by thin flakes on the scalp. While not a concerning health problem, it can be embarrassing.
The Mayo Clinic says possible causes include:
- Dry skin.
- Oily, greasy skin (seborrheic dermatitis).
- Insufficient shampooing of the scalp.
- Eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions, which may resemble dandruff.
- A fungus called malassezia.
- Contact dermatitis, caused by a sensitivity to certain skin and hair products.
This article: Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.