(HealthDay News) -- Reading is an important part of childhood. Parents can encourage a love of reading by getting little ones engaged in books.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions:
- Ask young children to name which books they want to read, and have them pretend to read out loud to you.
- Ask children to tell you how a story you are reading resembles something they have done or seen.
- Engage children with questions about a book, and encourage them to ask questions back.
- Toddlers should be able to point out when you've skipped a page or section.
- Ask your toddlers to explain a book in their own words.
This article: Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.