(HealthDay News) -- Toddlers are so curious that they're naturally drawn to an unattended pool. That's a recipe for tragedy.
The Poolsafety.gov website says pool owners should take these precautions to keep curious youngsters safe:
- Install around any pool or spa a fence at least 4 feet high with self-latching gates.
- Install a lockable safety cover over the pool.
- Install door alarms and window guards on the back of the home if it serves as a wall to enclose the pool.
- Equip the pool with gate and pool alarms that will let you know if a child goes near the pool.
- Make sure pool drains are compliant, and that pool covers don't need repair.
- Use an underwater alarm or surface wave for additional protection.
This article: Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.