(HealthDay News) -- While weight lifting is a great form of exercise and can help prepare you for sports or an athletic event, it can lead to serious injury if done incorrectly.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these weight-training suggestions:
- Work with an instructor to learn the proper way to lift weights.
- Establish goals.
- Always start with a warm-up and end with a cool-down.
- Always lift with spotters.
- Don't lift if it hurts you.
- Avoid working the same muscles more than three times per week.
- Never lift weights that feel too heavy to be lifted safely.
This article: Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.