(HealthDay News) -- The holidays are rich with family, fun and food, which often includes high-calorie, high-fat drinks.
The American Heart Association suggests how to make holiday beverages healthier:
- If you're serving eggnog, cut the calories with equal parts eggnog and skim milk.
- Leave out the alcohol and skip the whipped cream to save even more calories.
- Cut the fat in hot chocolate by making with skim milk and skipping the whipped cream.
- Take it easy on toppings for hot chocolate.
- When it comes to apple cider, opt for sugar-free or low-sugar products.
- Make apple cider yourself with low-sugar apple juice and spices -- such as nutmeg, cloves, cranberries or cinnamon sticks.
This article: Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.