Alcohol and Substance Abuse – Solvents
- Aerosol sprays
- Paint Thinner
What The Drugs Looks Like:
- These are the commercially available solvents used in painting and gluing, and for fuel purposes. Model glue, paint thinner, are all good examples
Most Typical Routes Of Administration:
- Nose & Lungs (inhaling solvent vapors, often called "Huffing")
What These Drugs Do (Symptoms Typical Of Intoxication):
Short term effects:
- Feelings of euphoria, dizziness, lightheadedness, great power, or exhilaration.
- With higher doses, a person may become confused, agitated and disorientated. They may also experience abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting or chest pain.
- Extremely high doses may cause general muscle weakness, difficulty speaking and hallucinations
- Because one of the effects of solvents is a feeling of invincibility, it is not uncommon for solvent abusers to engage in reckless behavior which can result in injury or death to themselves and others.
Long term effects:
- Some physical symptoms of long term solvent use are: sores on mouth and nose; fatigue; weight loss; pale skin; numbness in hands and feet; kidney, lung and liver damage
- Long term solvent use may cause brain damage. Some symptoms that have been found in long term users are: difficulty learning, memory loss, uncontrollable eye movements, hearing loss, inability to think clearly
- Psychological effects of long term use may include depression, irritability, paranoia, hostility,
Pattern of Withdrawal Symptoms:
Detoxification takes 14 to 30 days.
Withdrawal from solvents is similar to withdrawal to alcohol. Some withdrawal symptoms include:
- Muscular cramps
- Abdominal pains
- (Possibly) Hallucinations.
Most Significant Problems:
- High possibility of a potentially fatal overdose
- Strong possibility of brain damage!
Instantly Check The Insurance Coverage
- We’ll instantly check the coverage offered by your insurance provider.
- You may receive treatment at one of our facilities at a reduced rate.
- Though not required, entering your policy membership ID will help expedite your verification process.