How are drugs classified?
Drugs and medications of abuse can be grouped together into categories based on similarities between:
- How they work.
- What effects they will produce in the human body and brain.
A useful categorization scheme follows. We'll consider each class of drugs in turn, but if you want to, you can skip ahead to read about the particular drug class that interests you most.
Central Nervous System Stimulants
- Cocaine (Crack, Blow, Nose, Snow, Toot, White, Rock, Flake)
- Amphetamine & Methamphetamine (Ritalin, Meth, Uppers, Bennies, Crank, Crystal)
- Caffeine (Coffee)
- Nicotine (Cigarettes, Chew)
Therapists are Standing By to Treat Your Depression, Anxiety or Other Mental Health Needs
Explore Your Options Today
- Marijuana (Marinol, Pot, Grass, Weed, Brick, Joint, Thai Stick, Mary Jane)
- Hashish (Hash, Ganja, Rope)
- LSD (Acid)
- Mescaline (Cactus)
- Psilocybin, ('Shrooms, Mushrooms)
- MDMA (Love Drug, "X", Ecstacy)
- Aerosol sprays
- Paint Thinner