1-888-993-3112

ADD, Tourettes Or Both?

Question:

Dr. I am 64 Years old, and currently taking Prozac prescribed by the VA for depression. (I did not know I was depressed) For many years I have have whistled, hummed, and make a hissing sound almost continually. It is driving all around me nuts, including me. I can’t read normally. I start a paragraph, then skip around the article then have to begin reading the same article again. This happens several times in one article, a book is out of the question now. I jiggle my feet when sitting. I also don’t like socalizing much anymore. I really would anything to stop the humming, whistling, ect. Any help at all will be deeply appreciated…

Answer:

In most cases Tourette Syndrome begins in childhood and can last throughout a person’s life time. It is a tic disorder which means that its symptoms include involuntary movements that are repetitive. Along with these involuntary movements there can be vocalizations. If you are experiencing vocalizations without involuntary movements then I doubt that you have Tourette Syndrome. I also doubt that jiggling your feet while sitting would come under the heading of this syndrome. Most people who jiggle their feet do so out of anxiety and stress.

The difficulties you experience while reading might appear to have some ADD characteristics to them. However, it is also possible that both the reading difficulties and whistling and hissing could be symptomatic of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. What I want to make clear to you is that all of the disorders we are discussing: Tourette, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Depression have certain areas of overlap and there is no reason why a person cannot have all of them at one time. However, Tourette is so specific that it is probably the easier to diagnose of all three which is why I doubt that this is your problem. My guess is that you are experiencing depression with anxiety and those account for your symptoms. If I am correct you are on the right medication.

Prozac is an effective medication in relieving the symptoms of depression and anxiety along with OCD symptoms. It usually takes some time for the doctor to find the correct dosage before the medication will become fully effective. With a person of your age the doctors prefer to start on lower doses of all medications because as we age we all become more sensitive and reactive to medications.

I would also urge you to seek psychotherapy for your difficulties because medication alone is never enough. There are also good strategies you can learn to reduce your anxiety and your stress and distract your mind from those thoughts.

By the way, it is not unusual for a person to be depressed and not be aware of it.

The bottom line to all of this is that if you have any doubts about your diagnosis then you need to seek the professional opinion of a psychiatrist outside of the VA. I am in no way questioning the quality of treatment with the VA; I happen to know they provide excellent care, but it never hurts to get another opinion. Or, seek a second opinion from someone in the VA.