Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Adulterer's Lament


I broke up my marriage by having an affair and then leaving my wife of ten years for another woman. This was five years ago. I have been living with the other woman since then. Unfortunately, the woman I am living with has turned into an incorrigible alcoholic. I have had no luck in bringing her out her problem. She was even in court ordered counseling (for a 2nd DWI) for 4 nights a week for six months. I am weary of the relationship. I feel that I would like to go back to my ex-wife (who, since then, has been re-married and divorced) but I don’t know how it would work out. I have a 14 year old daughter by my ex-wife. Should I go back (I am sure that she would take me) or am I just looking for a quick way out of my current relationship?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

I’m tempted to tell you that you’ve gotten your just rewards for being dishonorable with regard to your ex-wife, but life is more complicated that that and we have to deal with the situation at hand sometimes. If you are having problems with your unrepentantly alcoholic partner-in-crime and find the relationship to be destructive, I would suggest that you are within your rights to leave her. This doesn’t mean, however, that you should run back to your ex-wife. Why not take a few months at least to be single and try to figure out just what the hell is wrong with your judgment that you could mess up so badly twice. At that point, if you are still wanting to be with your ex-wife (and provided that she wants you as well) you might give that relationship a whirl again. I question the mental health of a woman who would take you back after you cheated on her and then divorced her, but that would be her decision to make.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand