1-888-993-3112

Is Bipolar Inheritable?

Question:

my daughter in law is bipolar and so was her father. Does this mean that my grandson may be bipolar also?

Answer:

It means that there is an increased chance that your grandson will develop bipolar illness compared to someone whose parents did not have this diagnosis; it does not mean that your grandson will definitely develop the illness. There does appear to be a genetic componant to Bipolar Disorder and related conditions. The biological vulnerabilities that lead to Bipolar Disorder will likely be passed on from parents to child, but this does not mean that they will be expressed in the child. It seems to take a combination of vulnerabilty, environment and luck(unluck) for the disorder to actually occur.

<

p> Given that your grandson will be at increased risk, it may be a good idea to suggest that the family work with a child psychiatrist on a prophilactic consultation. You can be educated as to what to look for, and you can be educated as to whether there are any interventions or lifestyle changes that can possibly be used to protect the child from developing bipolar illness.

• emily

i have a fieance who has bipolar disorder and i wandered if our future childern would inherit the diasise.

• Jane McFee

It's really hard but I detach emotionally from my Bi Polar DIL

who hates me but I feel it's very important for me to do so! One of the Four Agreements "take nothing personally"! I do not engage by taking her bait and listening to her senseless comments and watching her rudeness in action..I smile and compliment her and walk away...There is no rhyme or reason to her..I accept her for whack job that she is..It's harsh but it's its the only way I can save my energy and sanity.