Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Is Bipolar Inheritable?


my daughter in law is bipolar and so was her father. Does this mean that my grandson may be bipolar also?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

It means that there is an increased chance that your grandson will develop bipolar illness compared to someone whose parents did not have this diagnosis; it does not mean that your grandson will definitely develop the illness. There does appear to be a genetic componant to Bipolar Disorder and related conditions. The biological vulnerabilities that lead to Bipolar Disorder will likely be passed on from parents to child, but this does not mean that they will be expressed in the child. It seems to take a combination of vulnerabilty, environment and luck(unluck) for the disorder to actually occur.


p> Given that your grandson will be at increased risk, it may be a good idea to suggest that the family work with a child psychiatrist on a prophilactic consultation. You can be educated as to what to look for, and you can be educated as to whether there are any interventions or lifestyle changes that can possibly be used to protect the child from developing bipolar illness.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand