1-888-993-3112

Is This An Eating Disorder

Question:

so im 16, and very athletic, i just decided one day i wanted to be a wanna be anorexic like mess with it to lose weight, and well it worked, but now i have this voice in my head thats always calling me fat, and though other ppl can see my weight loss i can’t, i used to keep above 1500 and think great, but now im down to 100cals a day and freaking out, but at this point im still too fat to have an eating disorder, im not even healthy thin yet so i can’t possibly have one i don’t think, and even if i do i think it would be a better idea to get help after some one reallizes and pushes me cuz right now im still to fat for help with the whole voices thing

Answer:

Yes, you have an eating disorder and you need to get help for it immediately. Your particular eating disorder is called Anorexia Nervosa. According to the DSM 1V of the American Psychiatric Association you meet the criteria for this illness.

The criteria for anorexia are:

1. Weight loss leading to a body weight less than 85% of what is expected for age and height.

2. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat.

3. Disturbance in the way body weight and shape are experienced. In your case this is exemplified by believing you are fat when people are telling you about your weight loss.

4. Loss of three consecutive menstrual cycles.

Your type of anorexia nervosa is the restrictive type because you have severely reduced the amount of calories you taken in.

If you have not yet lost your menstrual cycle there is increased danger that it will happen due to the reduced number of calories and continued weight loss.

I want to urge you to speak to your parents about this so that they can get you help. Anorexia is a life threatening illness and people do die of it. In fact, those who die of this illness insist on their fatness down to their last breath. You are young and that is important in that you can prevent this from getting worse. In fact, if you get help now you have a chance of ridding yourself of years of unhappiness and poor health.

There are medical doctors in your community who are trained to work with young people like yourself who are afflicted with this. Your parents can find them listed on the Internet or in the phone book. You will probably need to go onto anti depressant medications because depression becomes a large part of the illness. You will also benefit from seeing a nutritionist who is expert and experienced in this. There are treatment centers that specialize in the treatment of anorexia.

Act now and put a stop to this thing becoming any worse.

• Mr.A

I am pretty muscular, 6 feet 225 lb individual, but I have zero control on food. Over the last couple of years I have ate a healthy supper consistentyl at least 5 days a week, and during the summers I used to eat the same meal to lose weight. Friends and family say I work out too much. Whenever I eat with friends or alone, I eat tons. At a lunch buffet I have ate 31 slices of pizza, and on many occasions I have ate on the behalf of 3-4 people. It seems its just getting worse. I'm lucky I work out otherwise this could be bad. I'm pretty sure this is an eating disorder.