hey Anne, I like this girl in my school and I walk around with her and talk to her, but I am very shy about asking for numbers or dates. Any advise?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Shyness is real and can paralyze a person. However, it is also important to put these things in perspective. When you are 70 years old and looking back on this what do you want to remember? That you were afraid of being rejected and so did not ask and lost a potentially nice opportunity to have a friend and maybe to share love? Or that you made peace with your fear and asked her out anyway. Myself, I vote for you to gather your courage ask her for a date. What is the worst thing that can happen? You get rejected. It might hurt for a while but it definitively will not kill you. If you act you might find that she likes you too. You have nothing to fear but fear itself.