1-888-993-3112

Help?

Question:

Hey, recently I’ve been feeling so over weight and everyone tells me I’m not, but I’m always dieting and not eating to make myself skinnier and I think I’m becoming a bit obsessed about slimming. Slimming is constantly on my mind and I think I’ve got some kind of a disorder, please help? Rose

Answer:

Dear Rose,

The tone of your E. Mail comment and question indicates that you may be suffering from some type of eating disorder. Of course, based on your description of your self as someone who constantly believes they over-weight and your friends tell you that you are not, I tend to think that your eating disorder could be Anorexia Nervosa. Why do I lean in that direction?

Perhaps Anorexia?

It is not just that you see your self as over weight that points towards anorexia as a diagnosis but that you are constantly dieting and not eating. You report that you refuse to eat as a way of making your self skinnier and that you are obsessed about food and weight that adds further evidence of anorexia.

However, in order to carry a diagnosis of anorexia you would have to lost a large amount of your body weight and to have missed your menstrual cycle.

Whether it is anorexia or some other related eating disorder I want to very strongly urge you to see your Medical Doctor and report the symptoms you have been experiencing. Your MD will then recommend the correct action that you need to take.

Eating disorders are extremely serious, can damage physical health and even lead to death. You need to act quickly on this issue.

I want to suggest that you use our new online community to discuss what you are experiencing.