Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Alcohol And Change


My husband only drinks maybe once a month, but when he does, he becomes angry and it always ends in tears, usually mine. His father was an alcoholic, abusive husband and an abusive father, and when my husband drinks I become afraid that he will hit me. There is no reasoning with him and he calls me all the colourful names he can. The following day he is sorry and swears off the alcohol, until the next time. I just don’t know what to do or how to get him to see he needs help. I feel like a failure.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

There is no reason for you to feel like a failure. The problem drinking is his, not your’s. Putting the responsibility fir drinking on him, not on yourself.

One source of help for yourself might be to go to alonon, which is Alcoholics Anonymous for family members of those who have a drinking problem. There, you should get emotional support and learn how to separate yourself from his drinking.

Unfortunately, unless your husband gets himself help, you may be left with no other choice than to leave him. You have every right to feel safe. His drinking is no exuse for him to curse at you, itself verbal abuse, nor for hiss threatening you with the danger of getting hit. He should not be drinking at all. However, neither you, nor anyone else, can control what he, or anyone, will do. Only he can do that. That is why, unless he gets help and changes, you might have to leave him. I know it’s not a pleasant thought but, neither is living with a man who, over the years, could become much worse.

One choice is to present him with this possibility while he is sober, of course.

Also, you could consider psychotherapy for yourself in order to help you cope.

Best of Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand