Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Alcoholic Husband


I have been married for 6 years to my second husband. We have known each other since I was 2. He was married 2 times before and I was married once. I love the man I married, but I just don’t know where he is. I live with someone that has become a total stranger. He goes out “to play pool” and forgets to come home. He is usually drunk when he does return the next morning and then the silent treatment starts. I have asked him to stop, I have made threats of leaving, but I cannot take my children from their home. I have thought of asking him to leave, but I am really afraid that he would be too stubborn to ever come back or try to change. I really do want our marriage to work. We were good together, but as soon as he turned 37, he started telling me that if I wanted to act old fine, but he would go out drinking and enjoying himself anytime he wanted. We have a set of twins (3) together and I have a 9 yr old. The oldest hates it when he’s home because his always in a bad mood and we don’t ever do anything “family” together anymore. I am just lost and don’t know what to do. I really think it all links back to the weekend drinking, but I don’t know how to make him see it. What should I do?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

It wasn’t that you wanted to act “old” now, was it? I think you were choosing to act “responsibly” instead, and your husband was too immature to handle that. Based on your description, your husband is almost certainly a certified alcoholic in deep need of help and treatment. There are few ways (if any) to get through to an alcoholic before they have “hit bottom” (so to speak) and ready to deal with their denial and the wreckage they have created. Your husband’s drinking is very bad for your children to witness, as is the poor example of failing marital communication and lack of intimacy you and he are displaying for them on a daily basis. I encourage you to ask yourself, “Which is worse? Staying with this man and exposing my children to his chaos and abuse, or leaving him and facing the financial, emotional and other uncertainties of life without him?” I suggest you seek some outside counseling, either from a therapist, clergy person, or friend to help you to see the situation more clearly. If you come to believe that his behavior is unacceptable and irresponsible (as do I), then work on getting the strength to stand up to him and tell him things need to change (he needs to stop drinking, he needs to treat you better, etc.) Offer to work on this with him in therapy. If he refuses, then start packing your children’s bags, because the situation isn’t going to get better. Believe in yourself. Best of luck and strength to you, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand