1-888-993-3112

Alone And Bipolar

Question:

I am 24 years old now, and was 20 when first diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Denial set in and I ended up doing horrible things to my very best friends. Before I got stable on medications I lied to them, thinking that they were conspiring against me. I treated them horribly and they stuck with me as long as they could, and did all they knew how to do, but finally I lost them. How can I gain their trust back and what is the best source to briefly educate them why I acted the way I acted off the medications? I desperately need them, please help me get them back…I have no one.

Answer:

Bipolar disorder (or maniac-depressive disorder as it used to be called) is a very harsh disorder, and often people do not understand why people who suffer from it act the way they do. has a good resource concerning Bipolar disorder at http://bipolar.mentalhelp.net/. Providing your friends with information may help them learn about what you have to go through. It may be difficult to ever be as close to them as you were before, but it is worth trying. Meeting new people in a support group can also be a helpful way for you to realize that you are not alone in suffering from this disorder and help you cope. If there is no group meeting in your area, online support groups have been helpful for some people One sponsored by is http://bipolar.mentalhelp.net/bbs/forums.htm. Best of luck, – Anne