1-888-993-3112

Am I Depressed Or What?

Question:

I am a 26 year old female. I am successful in my career with just finishing up a master’s degree and consider myself very smart. My problem is this….I am so unhappy that many days and nights I spend the time just sitting in front of the TV crying for no reason. Things and people that once made me happy and smile do nothing for me anymore. I have constant feelings of not being happy and feeling sad. I am married but no longer feel happy in my marriage that I once loved. My husband and family are concerned for me because this is not me. I was once happy and enjoyed being with people and doing things, now I am just sad and want to spend all my time alone. It is starting to effect me. At first I didn’t think anything of it but now I am starting to get worried about myself. I can’t stand these feelings of sadness anymore. Do I need medication or counseling?

Answer:

<

p>It is very clear that you are experiencing depression. The constant feelings of unhappiness, tearfulness, lack of joy in things that used to make you happy are all strong symptoms of depression. Your husband and family are aware that something about you is different. The answer to your question is an unequivocal yes; you are in need of both medication and counseling.

<

p>Symptoms of Depression:

<

p>There are many symptoms of depression. It is not necessary to have every symptom to carry the diagnosis of depression. Among the many symptoms some of the best known are:

<

p>1. Difficulty falling or staying asleep.

<

p>2. Sleeping well beyond the normal seven to eight hours per night. Some people want to sleep the entire day when they are depressed.

<

p>3. A significant change in appetite. Some people lose their appetite while others experience an increase in hunger and caloric intake. 4. A decrease in sexual feelings and a loss of interest in sexual relations.

<

p>4. Inability to concentrate on work or school.

<

p>5. An increase in forgetfulness as a result of not being able to concentrate.

<

p>6. Suicidal thinking with or without a plan to make an attempt on your life.

<

p>7. A serious increase in irritability and temper. This is accompanied by angry outbursts and feelings of intolerance towards others.

<

p>8. Many people experience somatic symptoms such as pain in their back, neck, legs, chest or elsewhere.

<

p>Why Do You Need Both Medication and Counseling?

<

p>Research shows that depression is best treated with a combination of medication and psychotherapy. I would recommend cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy to help you identify the automatic thoughts that are causing you to feel so unhappy. Yes, we are able to think our way into depression and we can learn how to think our way out of it as well. While medication is quite helpful and necessary to the treatment of depression the psychotherapy helps people learn how to avoid repeat episodes of these painful feelings.

<

p>Why Is This Depression Happening to Me Now?

<

p>There are some very key times in life when people can experience depression. In your case, you are finishing your Master’s Degree. Completing a graduate degree is a transitional point in the lives of most people. It can create feelings of confusion and worry about how to proceed from this point onward.

<

p>In addition, at age 26 there are many other issues that could possibly on your mind, such as, concern about your relationship with your husband, trying to decide whether its time to plan children or decide if you want children or worrying about illness in the family. It is difficult to know what types of stresses you are experiencing at this time. However, depression is usually an indicator that a person is facing or expecting to face some crisis in the near future. It is also an indicator that unpleasant memories about past traumas may be lurking in the back ground.

<

p>It is definitely in your best interests to seek help as soon as possible.

• Sean

I am a 35 year old white male, divorced at 23 years old and have a 14 year old son (custody has bounced back and forth between mother and myself). I have been in Another relationship off and on for nearly 10 years. My girlfriend (of 9+ years) is also divorced (8+years ago) and has two daughters that live with us (13 and 10 years old). I have known for a long time that I am/have felt unworthy and a failure. My Family life as a kid was disfunctional with divorced parents, and living with my mother and older sister by 7 years. until 10 years old. My step dad from 10 years old untill present (which at first never gave a chance) turned out to be the greatest man and dad that I could ever ask for. I was a terrible teenager disobediant, defiant, and very angry with the world (for not much reason). I didn't grow up poor nor rich. I got everything that I needed or wanted within middle class reason. I played sports most of my life not great at them but not bad. I was good at fighting, again for no reason. I was a small kid that had a growth spurt above the normal puberty definition. So much so that my parents thought that I was on steroids or other drugs. I was anti-drug during that time. However, growing so big so fast (13 years old 90lbs 4'6"- 14 years old went to 175lbs 5'9") so I basically beat up anyone that ever made me mad (sometimes innocent bystanders). Back to today, I always knew I had issues but know I see them by myself (even after all the years of my loved ones saying that something was wrong......Denial). I have been in a rutt now for close to 6 months that has become almost unbearable for my girlfriend and kids to deal with. My problem mainly that I am now seeking help physically and mentally, is how do I remedy all of the wrong and hurt that I have caused? I know I can't take it back, but I feel lost and empty that I treated the ones that mean most to me. I need to let them know that I am sorry and want to do them right, but am afraid of the rejection that may come from it being so long and never sincere until now. Please help me, I am in need of showing my loved ones that I need them in everyway. Thank you. Sean

• Gayle

Be honest and ask forgiveness. Sincerity always shines through if it is real and if done in a truly repentant way than they will be accepting and forgiving. The worst thing you could do is stay quiet and let more time pass and not do anything at all. It's better to face rejection than to keep going in such a negative direction. The longer you let it go the worse it gets.

Stand strong and be honest.