Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?



Hi Dr. Schwartz,

I get angry at those who are closest to me and over very little things. I allow people to put things into my head and that makes it worse. I end up going crazy to my good friends.

I’m a nice person, I am not nasty, and I get along with everyone. Its just that sometimes  I turn into this person who just wants to hurt someone and I would never dream of hurting someone.

I thought maybe this could be due to my past. I had a fairly bad childhood. I am still young now and I don’t want to grow older with all this rage inside me. I was wondering if you could advise any help I could get? Many thanks, Ellie.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

There are several possible causes for you anger. You could have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and that would account for what you are describing. Another possibility is that you are experiencing depression. Depression often expresses itself in the kind of angry outbursts you are talking about. It is also possible that you have a combination of ADHD and Depression because they often go together. Yet another possibility is that you have some type of impulsive rage disorder where have not learned how to handle your angry feelings.

Lastly, but not at all separate, as a young person you may have some unresolved issues, traumas, anxieties and frustrations from you childhood.

However, there is no way for me to know what may be causing your difficulties with anger.

What I want to suggest, in answer to your question about how to get help, is that you make an appointment with a clinical psychologist and have a consultation. The psychologist will be able to provide you with an accurate diagnosis of your problem and recommend treatment.

You describe yourself as a young person and I fully agree with you not wanting to live your life as an angry person. That is why you really need to see a psychologist who can help you with this.

Best of Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand