1-888-993-3112

Antidepressants And Sexual Desire

Question:

i have been on paxil for about 5 years now, and i have noticed a marked decrease in my libido over the past few years. when i am off paxil for a few days i notice an increase in sexuality, then when back on it, there is little to no desire. does paxil decrease libido in women? can a side effect like this suddenly show up after taking the drug for a couple of years? are there any medications i could take instead of paxil which won’t disrupt my libido? or could i supplement paxil with some sort of women’s libido formula? thank you for your help!

Answer:

Not being a physician, I can only give you the outline of an answer. Yes – antidepressant medications like Paxil are noted for their sexual side effects (commonly a decrease in sexual desire in females). There are other medications that can be tried which may or may not work better for you. I’m not aware of any ‘libido formula’ that you might take. See your doctor (really – see your Psychiatrist – a general doctor won’t have enough specialized knowledge to know how to manage depression and sexual side effects at the same time) for more information.

When my dosage of Zoloft was increased I experienced a very odd sexual problem (arrousal [errection] but unable to acheive orgasm)... my phyc. gave me a Rx for something I think it was an antihistemen (sp) and that made it possable although still difficult however as I got used to the dosage the problem went away... but perhaps there is something you can take to alleviate that particular side affect. I am a male so obviously the chemicals are a little different but when a medicine that is working cuases something like that it ... rather sucks so I sympathize and wish you the best of luck.