I am a married woman, but I find myself very attracted to someone else. What should I do?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
You and your husband exchanged vows with each other and promised to remain faithful throughout your marriage. Unless you are ready to give up what you have in your current relationship, I strongly recommend not pursuing someone else. Take a look at the reasons why your eyes are wandering. Marriage takes a lot of work, and oftentimes, individuals get caught up in the daily grind and forget to take the time to be romantic or tell each other how much they mean to each other. Sometimes, a relationship just needs to be spiced up a bit in order to renew the attraction that brought you together in the first place. Depending on the length of your marriage, you may have lost a bit of that initial infatuation which could be a reason why you find yourself attracted to someone else. In many marriages, initial infatuation turns into a longtime, deeply felt, intimate love, based on more than looks or a funny sense of humor. Hope that helps, – Anne