1-888-993-3112

Bible-Based Recovery Vs. AA

Question:

I have a very unique situation. I am married to a self labeled “recovering” addict that is very involved in AA. We met in recovery. i have since joined a church that does not believe in the recovery process and has taught me that only Jesus can heal me. i have recently had a serious relapse in my sobrity. i do not understand how it is my husband can help all of the people he does and he cannot help me. he knows i do not believe in AA anymore, just the bible. he wants me to go to treatment for addiction and my only problem with that is that i do not believe in it, thus believe it is a waste of time. i would rather do this the church way. we are on the brink of divorce (his idea not mine) and i would like for everything just to go back to normal. what do i do? should i go thruough something i do not agree with just to appease him or do what i do believe in. are there any bibically based drug treatment facilities in the area?

Answer:

I’m rather surprised to hear about a Church that rejects the principles of AA and its’ twelve steps of recovery. In fact, AA was founded by religious people and that institution has a very spiritual bent to it. The early steps of the twelve step process talk about the need to submit to a higher power (“God as we understand him to be”) because without the aide of that higher power’s assistance the addict/alcoholic is otherwise unable to resist temptation. This sort of thing would appear to complement rather than conflict with a person’s relationship with God. So far as I am concerned, AA qualifies pretty well as a faith-based drug treatment facility. However, you may wish to consult this list of faith-based recovery programs. Perhaps one of them is near to you.

<

p> I can tell you that I’m not surprised that your husband is upset with you and wanting to divorce you. Your judgment is bad, you are acting in a self-destructive manner, and you are maybe going to take him down with you if he isn’t careful to distance himself from you. I’m sure that he loves you, but he would be acting self-destructively himself if he stays with you under the circumstances.

<

p> I can also tell you that it seems particularly ill-advised for your church to recommend to you that you stop doing something that was helping to preserve your health. Personally, I think your particular church leaders are out of touch with reality, not unlike other churches out there who encourage members to refuse medical care to babies, resulting in the death of those babies. I think you should return to AA with all due speed. I think you should find another church group to worship with which is interested in preserving all aspects of your health: physical, mental AND spiritual.