1-888-993-3112

Brain Injury And Depression

Question:

I have suffered traumatic brain injury of a grade 3 a year and half ago. I also suffer from bipolar depression. I have heavily medicated. Question. Does brain injury increase the depression and stress upon the body mentally? Your response would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answer:

I’m not an expert in this area of practice, but my general understanding is that yes, there can be a connection between physical injury and depression. For instance, there does seem to be an increased incidence of depression in populations of people who have experienced surgery. As to whether any causal factor involved here has to do with physical/chemical changes brought on by the injury, or psychological factors that stem from the injury (knowing you’ve lost function, even temporarily, can be depressing!), or a combination of the two, I cannot say. For a real expert opinion on this topic, you’d have to speak with a Neurologist or NeuroPsychologist.

• Terry Paulson

I have suffer from depression for over 30 years and its not seasonal depression. I have always wanted to end my life . I have come close 8 times but for some unknown reason I am brought back to life. I have taken pills and even drank alcohol while taking the pills. I have cut myself in fact the Doctors I see say I look like a road map a one time. At one time I set myself on fire. Everyday I wake up I want to die so bad.....