1-888-993-3112

Broken Heart

Question:

I’m 21 years old and I never thought I would be doing something like this. I’ve been dating this girl for a little over a year now. We loved each other so much. I still love her. She went out to Colorado for the Summer, and she says that she really doesn’t want to be in a relationship. I don’t understand how love can fade like that. I’m miserable now, I feel lonely and heartbroken. I don’t know what to do.

Answer:

Getting dumped by your first serious love (am I wrong in assuming that this was your first serious love?) is just about the most painful thing a person can go through. I can remember when this sort of thing happened to me, and most of the people I know have similar painful memories. When you are young, you love with a particular intensity. When that love comes apart, it can feel like there will be no tomorrow. It is a rite of passage to go through this experience, it would seem. The situation sucks, but you live through it. Please trust that things will get better. Time will put a distance between you and this wound. For the meantime, assess your situation. You may love this girl, but will you love yourself if you pursue her when she doesn’t want to be with you anymore? If you can’t feel good about what you are doing, it isn’t worth much doing it, at least in affairs of the heart. Life is short. Don’t drag out your mourning if you don’t need to. Make an active decision to break off with her if you need to (don’t act like a passive and abandoned victim or you are likely to become one). Or, if you think it will help, pursue the relationship until it is clearer how things will turn out. You’ll learn from your actions, either way. Best of luck in this difficult time.