I am separated, but still involved with my wife. I would like to know if it’s unreasonable for me to expect that she keeps dates with me, or let me know when she needs to cancel. She has her daughter call to tell me that she will call, but she never does. This bothers me a great deal. She apologizes, but does it regularly. I tried to explain how much this annoys me, but to no avail. She takes off and then doesn’t call. I guess I should stop expecting her to inform me of changes in her schedule, but can’t seem to…
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
You have every right to be annoyed by your wife’s actions; she is being inconsiderate. No, she doesn’t answer to you anymore, but that does not entitle her to be rude. Would she treat her friends the same way? I doubt it. My only suggestion is to try talking to her again, but this time make it clear to her how inconvenient her changes in schedule are for you. She needs to learn to stop making dates with you if she is not going to keep them. Bring this problem to her attention. Let her know that you do not expect her to tell you why she must cancel, but that she is canceling. Sincerely, – Anne