After dealing with 20+ years of depression, numerous pills and uncountable bouts of being in the "dark", I began reading about DBS. To me it sound like a last chance of survival for me. I can’t and won’t live like this anymore. I’ve destroyed too many people around me and I don’t want to hurt them anymore. Please let me know about this treatment and if you could refer me to a hospital. Thank you, booboo.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
The type of psychotherapy you are referring to is Dialectical Behaioral Therapy. It is very effective with people who experience the types of symptoms you are alluding to. What it does is combine Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with Meditation and deep relaxation so that powerful emotions such as anger and rage as well as depression and others are coped with in ways that are much healthier.
However, I cannot refer you to a hospital nor does a person have to be in a hospital in order to enter this type of therapy.
Having said that, I want to make clear that if you are feeling like you are going to hurt yourself or someone else you should either call 911 have them bring you to the hospital or go to the hospital emergency room yourself and check your self in for those reasons.
If you are in no danger, then you need to find a clinic or out patient psychiatric department that is connected to a hospital that practices DBT.
Do not give up hope and Good Luck