1-888-993-3112

Deep Feelings Of Suicide

Question:

Why do I get the deep feelings of suicide from time to time. I am always thinking about suicide but some days it doesn’t seem like I have the strength to fight it off. Why the difference?

Answer:

I’ll answer your question – at least a little bit as I’m able to – but I want to call your attention to the fact that you are definitely asking the wrong question. The right question is “how do I get help for my suicidal thoughts?”. You ought to get yourself to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible if you are constantly thinking suicidal thoughts. Your situation is potentially dangerous and life threatening. I know that you may be thinking, “duh! of course I’m at risk for hurting myself” – but you may not appreciate that there are many effective treatments that can help make your suicidal thoughts go away, or at least have less force. You can have a better life but you will have to see a doctor for help first.

<

p>Your question has to do with why suicidal thoughts fluctuate up and down in severity. There is no clear cut answer for this as many factors contribute. Among the things that can contribute to suicidal ideation getting more or less intense: changes in the social environment (most people are more suicidal when no one is around, most people are less suicidal when they have things to do in their lives like go to work), changes in the tone of brain chemistry (fluctuations of chemicals in the brain that rise and fall as in manic-depression (bipolar disorder), and changes in your activity levels (it is harder to be suicidal when you are exercising on a regular basis). These are just some examples off the top of my head (there are many more things that influence mood and thoughts).

<

p>But don’t worry too much about why your thoughts get more or less suicidal. Do something about it instead!

<

p>Make an appointment with a psychiatrist as soon as you can. Or at least your regular medical doctor.

• Morgan_55

Thank you very much Dr. Dombeck for your advice. I've been dealing with my (suicidal) condition for a long time. At least now I'm a little bit relieved now. I hope I'll be reading more advice from you. Thank you again.

• no name ghost

what if you are thinking of suicide and are pushed by a friend to call a shrink for help and so you call but you don't get a call back to make and apointment? what can you do...other than the ER *i would rather die in the most painful way possible than to trust the ER staff*