1-888-993-3112

Depression Helps To Contribute To My Unemployment! - Paula

Question:

I first started out with Depression, well over two years ago. Since then, I have lost my job and feel like I am stuck in chicken limbo! I have had more down’s than you can imagine!

I’ve tried to take my own life twice because of the financial state this depression has left me in! I have my own house with a mortgage that I am just holding on to with a thread!

Because of the amount of time of me being unemployed I have thrown myself into furthering my education. I have completed numerous courses to try and achieve a goal in life before I retire!

I feel now though, with me being out of work for so long, that this has in fact, affected me more than I thought! Browsing through the job vacancies, I decided to try for a few in one of the roles that I just recently qualified in completing my level’s 2/3 in Peer Mentoring with youth.

After applying for the post and receiving the application forms on line, I started filling them in. When I got to the end though, and went to press send, I couldn’t do it! I panicked and felt all my anxiety returning. I felt scared to return back to work!

So, how do I get over that fear of getting back to work, without me falling deeper into my depressive state?

Answer:

Depression and anxiety almost always go together. In fact, as long as you fail to send these applications because of your anxiety, you will remain depressed. Remember, depression is partially caused by feelings of helplessness. Your state of unemployment causes you to feel helpless and, therefore, depressed.

However, your immediate question is what can you do to get yourself back to work? I understand that you are having financial difficulties at the moment. However, it would be a good idea for you to enter psychotherapy. In particular, you need to enter into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) in order for you to learn to reshape your thinking about your life and yourself and to learn how to reduce the thinking that leads directly to anxiety. There are low cost clinics where treatment could be affordable for you.

Yet, time is an important factor for you and I believe that you need to get yourself back to work as soon as possible. This is not only for financial reasons but for your sense of self esteem and well being. People feel better about themselves when they are working and supporting themselves. Your interest in youth counseling makes a lot of sense and you are certainly needed in that field.

There are many self help things you can do to reduce anxiety and depression. First, our online self help book is available and free and can be found by pressing this URL:

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/center_index.php?id=353&cn=353

There are also many self help manuals in the book stores.
I would urge you to learn and use meditation and deep breathing and muscle relaxation techniques to help you reduce anxiety.

Our own Dr. Elisha Goldstein has many articles here at this website that explain how to reduce anxiety and he has many other links for you to go to for help.

One more suggestion: Even though you feel anxious about sending application I am urging you to force yourself to press the "send button." "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." First, pressing the send button will not, by itself result in a job but it just might get the process going. Second, you need to remind yourself that your help and your contribution to young people are greatly needed. I would even encourage you to visit some of the youth services agencies in your area as a way to get yourself familiar so that will seem less threatening. Learn who is in charge and ask to see those people and interview them.

This is a matter of mind over matter. Therefore, keep in mind that you are interviewing them and keep in mind that you do not have to take any job that does not feel right. But, for your own sake, it is important that you start now.