1-888-993-3112

Different Religions

Question:

I’m a 21 year-old who has been through a lot of abuse in life. My family is extremely religious and controlling. I have met this guy who is not of my religion, and we have fallen in love. If my family finds out, they will never forgive me; they would see it as a betrayal to what they have taught me. Not to mention that he is not in the category they would deem acceptable. I am no longer willing to be controlled and be told what to do. Those years are over. My boyfriend feels very bad about the situation. What is the best way to deal with this without letting this wonderful man slip out of my life or losing my family for good?

Answer:

You are basically stuck in the middle. If you love him so much, then I say don’t let him go. If you haven’t already talked to your parents yet, then do so. Explain to them that people can’t help who they fall in love with. Try to make them see your side. Tell them how you fell in love with him. Make them see him for who he is, rather than what religion he is. Try to understand their side as well. Make sure you present your situation in such a way, so that your parents do not see your actions as rebellious. Perhaps if your parents see what you see in him, they will love him too. Hopefully things can be worked out without you having to choose between them. For now, try talking to your parents, and go from there. Hope things work out, – Anne