Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Do I Have Bipolar Disorder?



I’m twenty one years of age.  I have a young daughter and I’m living on my own. From a young age I have always suffered with extreme emotions but as I’m getting older it seems to be getting worse. I seem to get extreme highs where I’m partying really hard and sometimes I just don’t know when to stop. Then I get extreme lows where I can’t b bothered to do anything and then sleep all the time.

I’ve been using party drugs and spending stupid amounts on alcohol. I don’t care what anyone thinks. I don’t feel like I have any control when I go off on one!  When I come crashing back down I become so depressed and self loathing that I just feel like I can’t get to a happy middle point. I just would like to relax and get some comtrol back so I can be a normal mommy with my daughter.  I can’t stand the extreme parts of my personality.  The drugs and alcohol are making it worse!

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

It is impossible to know if you have bipolar disorder because your diagnosis is clouded by alcohol and drug abuse.  There is no question that you need to get help immediately.  You will not gain a sense of control over your life until you stop drinking and using drugs.  You need to be seen and evaluated by a psychiatrist or psychologist, and given a recommended course of treatment that will include psychotherapy.  In addition, attending a 12 step drug rehab program will help.

What is especially alarming about your case is that you either mother or of a child.  That child needs you to be fully alert and available 24 hours a day.  It is entirely possible, under the current circumstances, that you could be accused of child neglect and have your child taken away from you.  I am sure that if something you do not want.  To prevent that from happening you must get help now.

While it is possible that you have some type of psychiatric disorder that would not explain the reason for your drinking and using drugs.  The sooner you get the drug abuse under control the sooner you will feel in control of your life.

If you cannot afford a private psychiatrist or psychologist you could attend a local mental health clinic or not for profit mental health organization.  Help is available and you need to get that help immediately.

Best of luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand