1-888-993-3112

Does Thinking Of Suicide Lead To Suicide?

Question:

If you think of suicide does that mean you will flip and do it? Because of health reasons (injury) and a dishonest atorney I am left with a wife 3 kids house (losing it) dog .We have lost everything. Had the perfect life. Church 3 times a week, made around 100k year. Really enjoyed life. After I got hurt everythig went south.I attend what I can of church well really a fellowship group sometimes. Most Sundays I hurt and I am heavely medicated (have been since 02). I have abouve average problem solving ability and very high IQ level. Was diagnosed as autistic when I was young but it was a misdiagnosis. So lets say I have a little bit of common sense and a lot of education within the system. I went far. At points I have thought of doing the deed as my young family could move on and have a normal life. We are mid 30s and She and the children don’t need to deal with this there whole lives. I know that if I do I will go to hell so I have not nor would I in sane mind. Anytime I have gotten the thought I throw it right out of my head. The question is just because you think about it sometimes but not often does that mean you will flip out and do it?

Answer:

This is a beautiful world, but there certainly is no end of trouble to be had in it. It looks like you’ve had your share too. I’m sorry to hear about your injury, and the disability and financial difficulties you’ve had since that event. What seems to be the case currently is that you’ve developed a chronic pain condition, and possibly more than that. Depression can easily occur in the aftermath of disabling events, and can easily contribute to chronic pain conditions. Also, some of the medications that are used to treat pain can be addictive, leading to further troubles.

<

p> It is easy to think suicidal thoughts when you are in chronic pain and/or depressed. Suicidal thoughts are, in fact, a symptom of depression. To answer your question directly, it is not the case that you will necessarily “flip out” and kill yourself just because you have them. Many depressed people experience suicidal thoughts and the vast majority of them do not go on to kill themselves. Some do, of course, but the vast majority of people do not. Fleeting thoughts about killing yourself are of least concern within the spectrum of sucidal thoughts. Get more worried when you start making detailed plans as to how you will do yourself in.

<

p> Don’t ignore those thoughts, even if they don’t mean you will kill yourself tomorrow. They are a sort of cry for help; suggesting that you are in such a state (not only of physical pain, but also I suspect, of shame for not being the provider you once were) that you see no other way to lead a satisfying life other than to exit from life. Clearly, you could benefit from professional help. Please seek out medical assistance specifically for chronic pain and for depression conditions. A psychiatrist might be the best sort of doctor to consult with in this circumstance, as they best understand the complex relationships between physical and emotional pain. Please also seek out psychotherapy or counseling. I know money must be tight, but this is worth doing as we are talking about your very life here. Your pain doctor (whomever is medicating you for your injury) might know of local behavioral health psychologists who specialize in psychological treatment of chronic pain (yes – it exists and it can be very effective). The same sort of psychologist can probably also help you with depression (as I said before, chronic pain and depression can go hand in hand).

<

p> One other thought is that you may have a real resource in your church that you should not ignore. There are more reasons to not kill yourself than that you would “go to hell”. If fear of going to hell is all that you think church is about, you are missing out on something important. There are actually positive reasons to go to church too, not just negative ones. After all, a central message of most churches is that despair can be overcome by way of grace, is it not? Seek out some of that grace, if you are a believer; it may ultimately provide the motivation that helps you snap out of this uncomfortable place you’re stuck in.

• STACEY

HI I THINK YOU SHOULD SORT THIS OUT

• Robert Roakes

Notice like all Doctors who have never been hurt themselves, he goes straight to the pain pills and addiction crutch. The Doctors who do not know anything else always blame that. Despite that you, while in chronic pain do not become addicted. Any third rate Doctor who studies pain in sever chronic patients knows this. Well it's true you have no legs and you have to drag yourself everywhere you go but those pills are really hurting you. They really believe this. Go see a Dr who treats both issues and not one who handles only one.

• Tallis Ulann

I READ YOUR STORY SADLY I'M CRYING I WAS TOUCHED. I'M A BORN AGAIN CHRISTAIN PENTECOSTAL, I'M FILLED, BAPTIST I SING ON THE CHOIR. I PRAY TO GOD FOR THE THOUGHTS TO GO AWAY, I HAVE BEEN DEPRESSED AND SUIDCIDE ALL MY LIFE, REASON. I HAVE BEEN RAPED, SEXUALLY MOLESTED AT AGE 8 AND IT CONTINUED AND STOP AT AGE 11. NOW I'M 22. I KNOW THERE IS A HEAVY PURPOSE THAT GOD WANTS ME HERE ON EARTH BUT AT TIMES IT'S HARD. I TOOK PILLS AND HAD AT TIME UNPROTECTED SEX. I TRIED DRUGS BUT YET STILL I'M HERE. I READ THE BIBLE AND YET I STILL HAVE THE THOUGHTS OF KILLING MYSELF. I'M ON SUICIDE WATCH BY MY FAMILY THEY DONT WANT ME TO GO TO THE DOCTORS THEY BELIEVE IN PRAYER AND I THANK GOD FOR THE WARRIORS EVERYTIME I THINK ABOUT THE THINKABLE I CRY ANYWAYS PLEASE KEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR SHARING YOUR STORY I DONT HAVE JOB, I HAVE L D LEARNIN DISABILITIES BUT GRADUATED. THE PURPOSE OF GOD AGANEDA IS WHY I'M STILL HERE THANK YOU.

• jeremy

Robert, I totally agree with you. I am having suicidal thoughts as well from chronic pain over the last several years. I have been to pain managment ,but have yet to find an answer. they wont prescribe me anything strong enough to combat the pain. I dontk now if they are worried about their licnese or addiction or what. In my mind i think "if it keeps me alive and active and semi-normal why not". These doctors need to get their head out of their asses.

• xsnrgdrinkfromthegrail

That's why I'm still here. I can't say I agree with church and praying though. I tried that and it only complicated matters more. When praying did nothing for me, I stopped going to church...long ago. I prayed a bit from time to time after not going anymore but it still led to problems. Reading a bible and praying only made me more depressed than I didn't want to be. Thinking that there is a supposed God watching over us only makes us crazy. This isn't to put down or offend anyone who is religious like this either. It just became a problem for me not a solution. If you witness something bad or feel like you did something wrong, you pray to "god" for forgiveness. Feels like enslavement if you ask me. I think about suicide once in a while but would never do the deed on myself. That's just not a part of what I am. I've suffered from three extreme bouts of depression in my lifetime. I know about mental hospitals and don't ever plan to land myself in one ever again. So I learned, you should look out for others beside yourself. Don't worry about your depression. Focus on your job and family. What you got for yourself is what you have. YOU made your life for yourself, not God. I'm now agnost/atheist. I one day shouted that there is no God and nothing happened. I don't think Jesus can save anyone now either. He sacrificed himself willingly to the "cross". What's that tell you about the quality of a person? Sounds like weakness to me. Anyway live a life. Don't think about death and you'll never expect to die. Simple....

• Meg

In the span of two weeks, I lost my best friend in a car accident and then two days after her funeral, my boyfriend left me. My life since then has been spiraling out of control. I'm a panicked mess most of the time, I'm so low emotionally, unable to think of anything but the loss of my friend and my obvious flaws as a person. I am unlovable apparently. My school work is suffering and if I continue to be unable to work, I'll never graduate.

Recently, I've been thinking about suicide. I want to go to sleep and never have to wake up again. At first it was just thinking about dying and not having to deal with life anymore. Then it was thinking about how I might do it. Taking a bottle of pills seems to be the painless way to do it. I don't have the courage to cut myself or hang myself, but I have thought about both. I know where and what time of day, but again, I lack the courage to actually do it.

I have thought about what I would say to the people I love in a note. I've gone through a mental list of my family and friends, telling each of them what needs to be said.

I don't want to be awake. I go to sleep at night and never want to wake up. It hurts too much to be awake.

I have an appointment to see a counselor. I'm on my second week of Zoloft. I don't think I'd actually kill myself, but the more I think about it, the more I wish I had the courage to go through with the deed.

• Armistead14

I have lived in severe chronic pain for 7 years taking a host of strong opiates that barely do anything. I finally lost my job as Sr. Project Manager. I started my own business, but severe autonomic issues started, lost my license due to dizziness and soon business failed. I lived off savings a year and that ran out. My wife is disabled too from a car wreck, but does better than I. For 3 years I couldn't get a dx, just told a nut until I went to Mayo. Then it was just learning to deal. Now I've lost my business and we live in total poverty. Somehow Unum screwed my wife out of her LTD after 7 years of total disability status because she could crawl on a floor and pick up macoroni in a funtion test done by their own Doctors. We then couldn't afford medical insurance.

My Neuro hardly knows who I am. I've complained of pain, dizziness, ect. She doesn't even know what I have most the time until I remind her. Now without insurance she cares less. I couldn't afford to go last week so she wouldn't write my meds..Had to stop Methadone, vicoden, valium cold turkey, going on 7 days now. Bet I haven't slept 10 hours since and feel almost mad. Should be illegal not to wean you off some, but she doesn't care. I call everyday and nothing, two more weeks until I can see her. You can't argue with her or she'll just drop you.

It's not fair..7 years ago the best life, wife, children, great home. We had top champion show dogs and traveled a lot. A perfect life. It now seems like a dream.

I have nothing left to offer. My home is in foreclosure, cars gone. We went without a heat pump this winter. Get basic food from social groups. We have no family that can help. No way we can live on the street. Least if I'm dead, wife has my SS and hopefully one day she'll get approved and get her LTD back and can make it.

I've planned mine out. I know the day, but want to see my son reach 13. It's not to hurt anyone or make anyone feel guilty, just so much pain and can't be a man. I hope my wife and son can move on and find happiness they so deserve for these last years of hell.

Doctors have become the most cruel people on earth. I don't know how they live with themselves, just treat people worse than criminals.

Taking ones own life is easier then dealing with physicians and insurance companies. If I can not handle my own pain with over the counter products then taking my own life will be cost effective and a lasting cure for pain.